Looking at my ThinkPad T430 from 2013, I was wondering if the upgraded quad-core CPU i7-3610QM and the dedicated GPU Nvidia NVS 5400M can be used for modern gaming nowadays.
Seeing is believing, so check out the gameplay video which will give you more details about fps, resolution and detail settings.
Spoiler: most of the games from the PS3/X360 ran just fine and cross-gen games like GTA V run with small compromises. Modern AAA titles fare worse unfortunately.
Hardware specs for my ThinkPad T430:
- CPU Intel Core-i7 3610QM, 3.3 GHz Turbo, quad core (4/8) modded
- GPU Nvidia NVS 5400M 1GB (Optimus)
- RAM 16GB DDR3 dual channel
- 768p or 900p displays but we use an external monitor
10 games are tested. Most of them are well playable at 720p or 900p with low/mid settings at 30-60fps. Older games from before 2005 should run at 1080p with no problems.
- GTA V
- Tomb Raider
- Dirt 3
- MGS V
- Bioshock Infinite
- The Crew (low fps, nearly unplayable)
- The Division (low fps, nearly unplayable)
Thanks for reading! You can check out more of this blog or my YouTube channel.